Yield 8-10 servings
- 2 cups boiling-hot water
- 3 Tbs instant-espresso powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar — divided
- 3 Tbs Tia Maria (coffee liqueur)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup dry Marsala
- 1 lb mascarpone (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 36 savoiardi (crisp Italian ladyfingers — from two 7-ounce packages)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- Semi sweet chocolate bar, shaved into curls for the top
Stir together water, espresso powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, and Tia Maria in a shallow bowl until sugar has dissolved, then cool.
Beat egg yolks, Marsala, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water using a whisk or handheld electric mixer until tripled in volume, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove bowl from heat. Beat in mascarpone until just combined
Beat cream in a large bowl until it holds stiff peaks.
Fold mascarpone mixture into whipped cream gently but thoroughly.
Dipping both sides of each ladyfinger into coffee mixture, line bottom of a 13- by 9- by 3-inch baking pan with 18 ladyfingers in 3 rows, trimming edges to fit if necessary. Spread half of mascarpone filling on top. Dip remaining 18 ladyfingers in coffee and arrange over filling in pan.
(Or I put mine in a trifle glass for holidays)
Spread remaining mascarpone filling on top and dust with cocoa. Chill, covered, at least 6 hours.
Let tiramisu stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving,
then dust with more cocoa and sprinkle with chocolate curls.