- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/4 cup Marsala or brandy
- 9 white sandwich bread slices
- 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk (do not use lowfat or nonfat)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped Combine raisins, figs and Marsala in small bowl.
Let stand 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Generously butter 8-cup soufflé dish.
Spread 1 side of each bread slice generously with butter.
Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
Transfer to prepared dish.
Mix sugar, eggs and egg yolk in large bowl.
Whisk in cream and next 4 ingredients.
Stir in apple, raisins and figs with Marsala.
Pour over bread and stir to combine.
Let stand 5 minutes. Set soufflé dish in large baking pan.
Add enough hot water to large pan to come 1 inch up sides of soufflé dish.
Bake until custard is set and top is golden and puffed slightly in center, approximately 1 3/4 hours.